Wednesday 8 May 2013

My first re-fashion; purple silk shirt

So a couple of weeks ago I had a bit of time to kill before a coffee date and ended up in Oxfam. I scored four 100% silk shirts for £2.99 each. Two of them exactly the same; plain button up shirts with no darts. Basically a fair amount of jewel coloured silk for the price of a large coffee each.

not quite a 'before' photo

I finally cut into one of the last week, after a session with the iron and a damp tea towel. I had just enough to make a Scout t-shirt! First I cut up all the seams to give me some nice flat pieces of fabric to work with. I decided to keep the buttons up the centre front and face the neck and sleeves with bias strips cut from the spare sleeve.


I went for french seams on the sides and armsyce. French seams on the armsyce was a first for me but it came together very smoothly.

inside french seam glory


A silk top for less than £4.50 (£1.50 for thread) and I didn't even have to sew on a single button!


The perfect quick make to help me out with Me-Made-May.  But the question is, shall I do exactly the same with the green shirt or is that just to boring? Maybe. Or the buttons down the back instead perhaps?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fabby top! And I love the price, what great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Lynne! I'm in love with the colour, reminding me a bit of those purple Quality Street chocolates, come to think of it; yum!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's beautiful! And such a great idea to keep the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that's some nice french seam action there!

    ReplyDelete